Scholarship Program (2023 – 2024)
Application Period: December 4th, to February 28th,
Application Deadline: February 28th,
Scholarship Recipients Announcement By: April 30th,
Scholarship Funds Issuing By: August 9th,
- Renewable scholarships (worth $500 each) available each year; recipients could be granted up to $2,000 over 4 years.
- The scholarships will be applied to tuition only for undergraduate study at accredited, non-profit two or four-year colleges/universities or vocational/technical schools in Canada.
- The award must be used in the year it was awarded, unless winners submit a formal request to have the award deferred.
- Recipients may transfer from one eligible institution to another and retain the award.
- In the event that recipients have other scholarships or subsidies which cover portions of tuition costs, ACULPECA will provide a scholarship which will amount to the lesser of: a) $500 or b) the recipient’s tuition requirements for that given year.
- ACULPECA Members who
- Maintain individual of family status membership for at least 2 years prior to application for scholarship, and
- Have participated, individual or family member, in the last AGLC Casino Event; and
- Have proven record of sufficient volunteer work done in the community.
ACULPECA membership must be in-force on the date of application for an ACULPECA Competitive Scholarship and it must remain in-force in order for the applicant to accept the scholarship and receive the payment.
- The spouse of an elegible ACULPECA Member as defined above
- Dependent children of an elegible ACULPECA Member as defined above
- Children must be aged 24 years or under at the time of application through the time payment is issued
- Includes children under the case of a legal guardian who is an elegible ACULPECA Member as defined above
- Grandchildren of an elegible ACULPECA Member as defined above
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 40 hours of community service from March 1st, 2022 to February 28th, 2024
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.8 or 70%
- Applicants must be enrolling in a minimum two-year, full-time undergraduate program of study at an eligible institution in Canada in Fall 2024
Overall Weighting of the Application Components
- Community Service, Recommendation Letter, and Essay: 65%
- Grades: 35%
Based on the number of people who apply each year, the competition for these scholarships can be high. The minimum requirements for community service hours, grades, references, and the essay are items all students need in order to just be considered for a scholarship. Meeting or exceeding these requirements does NOT guarantee that you will be chosen as a winner. Please keep in mind that only the top 2 applicants from across Canada, as chosen by the Selection Committee, can be selected as winners.
All applicants must have performed a minimum of 40 hours of community service in the 24 months (March 1st, 2022 to February 28th, 2024) leading up to the application deadline. Community Service is volunteering for any recognized community organization.
Preference will be given to applicants who have:
- Volunteered with ACULPECA to promote Peruvian culture through dance, music, and fundraising activities in the past.
- Been involved in volunteer activities that support family well-being, including playgrounds/public space, children’s health/wellness and other projects connected to a family togetherness
- Held leadership roles in their community (i.e. non-profit organizations)
All eligible applicants other than Mature Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.8 or 70% in the last academic year of study before the year of the award. In this category, applicants will be ranked/scored based on their level of performance above and beyond the minimum GPA of 2.8 or 70%.
If the applicant is considered a “Mature Student” as defined by the attending institution, academic eligibility for the entrance level will be based on proof of registration at an eligible institution. Such proof of registration will also be required if the candidate is awarded the scholarship.
All applicants must provide a recommendation letter from a person who is not related to the applicant and who is intimately familiar with the applicant’s community service.
The recommendation must be submitted by March 7, 2024. It is the applicant’s responsibility to follow up with the recommender to ensure that the recommendation is completed and submitted by the deadline.
ACULPECA exists to enrich the lives of its members, their families, and the communities where they live. Giving back and supporting local communities is part of our core.
In 250 words or less, all applicants will need to share a written response about their experience with a volunteer project where they gave back and supported a community. Why was it meaningful and how did it impact the community?
The following restrictions apply to the scholarships:
- Applicants who have previously received an ACULPECA Competitive Scholarship will not be eligible to apply for a new scholarship
- If the member dies after the scholarship is awarded, the scholarship will continue as long as the recipient is covered under another in-force ACULPECA Membership as defined in the “Eligibility” section AND he or she continues to meet the renewal criteria.
- The scholarship will terminate at the end of any academic year in which the ACULPECA Member, whether the scholarship recipient or the sponsoring member, ceases to be an ACULPECA Member
- Membership status and eligibility is verified at different stages of the application period and throughout the year
How To Apply?
More details soon.
Application Period: December 4th, 2023 to February 28th, 2024
Application Deadline: February 28th, 2024
For More Information
For additional information regarding the scholarship program or other member benefits, please contact ACULPECA by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For specific questions about the scholarship application, contact us by email at email@example.com. We will answer back within 24 hours.
About the Final Decision
Applications are to be evaluated by a Scholarship Board comprised of two members of ACULPECA executive plus two non-employee/non-executive members of the association who are sought to have demonstrated an exemplary volunteering spirit. All board members must be in close communication with the applicants.
**ACULPECA recognizes the exemplary volunteerism and dedication of the members who, while alive, have dedicated extensive and exemplary time towards the community, and have devoted their time and skills relentlessly.